By - Chuck Leinweber - Harper, Texas - USA

To Part Two


On May 21st of this year, I got aboard a mid-day plane to Georgia. Bill Moffitt had graciously invited me to crew with him on his Mikesboat, "Ember's Watch" for the inaugural OBX130. Besides the ill-fated reports that I sent at that time, I took a bunch of pictures. Here they are with captions. Be aware that I can't vouch for the accuracy of all the facts below....

When I got to Bill Moffitt's place in Atlanta, he was mostly packed. Sean's Piccup Squared was loaded in the Mikesboat and all the space in between loaded with gear.
Bill and Sean worked on the hitch.
Bill checked the oil in the big Caddy's Northstar mill.
Next day we began the 9 hour drive to Cedar Island, our launch point. We stopped for lunch at a decrepit looking dive along the highway. I was dubious but the food was really good. I don't remember what this was called but it tasted great. Who knew you could get good Tex-Mex in Georgia?
Mac was at Cedar Island when we got up the next morning with one of two Waveriders to start the OBX
David Chase was there also with his professionally built Mikesboat. What a nice boat!
This Mikesboat is built to a much higher degree of finish than any of my boats ever are.
Our ramp was not the best but we made the best of it. Here Bill helps David launch his boat.
Sean, being the youngest got elected to get wet. Mac holds the painter while Bill assists.
David easily rowed over to the docks by the campground.
Mike Monies and Andrew Linn arrived in Mikes Laguna Dos, named "Blue Laguna".
Andrew is writing the event up for Small Craft Advisor so took copious pictures and notes.
Here Andrew is interviewing Stuart Bartlett who came with Paul Moffitt and crewed on several of the different boats. Read Andrew's preliminary report HERE.
Several TSCA guys showed up with the idea of meeting our group and then daysailing out of the area. This is a lapstrake Mellonseed.
Mike and Andrew have an interesting method of propulsion - paddlerowing, I think it is called.
Of course, when Andrew is not looking, Mike quits paddling and looks for girls in bikinis.
So while Mike was looking for bikini girls, Andrew got back at him by lashing a Coot burgee to the masthead.
Paul backed the big Caddie down the ramp so Bill and Sean could launch "Ember's Watch". I was careful to take pictures from the nice, dry dock.
While Bill and Sean wade around in the muddy water getting the boat launched at the uneven and shallow ramp, Mike Wick of and I shout encouraging words.
The TSCA guys really know how to camp in style. A few days into the OBX, we (more uncouth adventurers) were wishing for such a shelter as this.
Bob Grona had the other Waverider trimaran. His had been signed by well known designer Jim Brown. Bob had the good sense to find something else to do when launch day arrived with small craft warnings issued for the North Carolina coast.
One of the TSCA guys had this nice catboat.
Tony Day came down from Winterville, North Carolina with this beautiful Princess 22, one of Graham Byrne's designs. Tony was one of the less intelligent sailors who cast off into high winds and waves that first day. But to his credit, Tony survived 5 days of rain and sailing.
Paul Moffitt, the organizer of the event held a briefing the evening before launch day. Bob Grona paid close attention.
Sean showed off this billfold made of sailcloth.
After the orientation meeting, we all adjourned to the restaurant for dinner. They have good seafood.
Here is what it looked like the morning the cruise was to begin. High wind with showers and small craft advisories.
Oblivious to the warnings, the two Mikesboats, the Laguna, the Piccup Squared, one Waverider, the princess 22 and a Nordica 16 prepared to take off into the unsettled waters of Core Sound.
Bill loading last minute goods - beer in this case.
Paul crewed with Dave the first day.
The TSCA boys motored out to watch the crazies drown.
Sean tied a reef in his mainsail and bravely set out.
A bit later, Bill and I found him out in the bay with water on the wrong side of his boat (inside). So we towed him back to the big Caddie and left the little boat there, taking Sean aboard as crew.
For penance, Sean had to steer our boat....
... While Bill critiqued his style.
Our first camp was an abandoned gun club about halfway down Core Sound.
Of course, Mike and Andrew were the first to arrive and they spent all afternoon on the dock crowing about their superior sailing abilities.
I was impressed that Mac was able to negotiate the shallow waters approaching the gun club. He turned out to be quite a capable sailor.
We wasted little time setting up camp.
Since the island here is very narrow, a few of us decided to walk over to the ocean side and consider the mighty Atlantic.
The gun club has a nice pier and dock as well as a little beach area - perfect for our group.
Mike has done a really nice job of fitting out his Laguna. Here he is setting up the grates for sleeping aboard.
Last to camp was Pete in his relatively deep drafted little boat. Pete came from Canada and brought a bunch of beer ashore which he passed out saying "It's the queen's birthday, long live the queen. Here, have a beer." I'm still not sure if it really was the queens birthday or if that is a euphemism for "lets drink".
Mac slept aboard his neat little tri every night.
The next morning, Andrew's Coot burgee showed a favorable but strong wind. Small Craft Advisories were still out.
Since we were running downwind toward Lookout Point, we raised sails and took off. Shortly after leaving shore, we stopped to tie in a reef. Then we tied another one in.
Capsize! Luckily, Mike and Andrew saw David capsize his Mikesboat in the blustery wind and nasty chop out on Core Sound. They had Sean with them so made him swim over to help David right the little cruiser and bail it out. That done, David and Sean motored to Harker's Island to dry out. David decided to withdraw at that point. We got the word via VHF and all but the Trimaran and the Princess 22 met at Harkers to help David and pick up Sean.
We found a little breakwater at Harkers and guided the capsize crew in. David was in very good spirits considering. His comment: "It was much gentler than capsizing a J24".
David so appreciated Sean's help that he have him the rigging knife he had carried for 30 years. Sean was speechless for once.
Meanwhile, everyone else sulked, wishing they had jumped in to help David and win the coveted rigging knife...
Except for Stewart, that is, he already had a rigging knife and he was glad he didn't get wet.
Bill was most dissappointed - here he is over 60 years old and still doesn't have a rigging knife.

To be conintued...

More articles about the OBX130:

I can’t believe I ate half that bag of … ! By Sean Moffitt
The OBX By Paul Moffitt
Article in Reports by Paul
The OBX 130 Website


To comment on Duckworks articles, please visit our forum