Sandra had so much fun with her
Skin on Frame boat,
I just had to do one too. Part of the problem was that I had
so much fun paddling it at Anahuac last weekend with Jerry Scott
Of course, I couldn't do it exactly
the same, so I took the plans and lengthened the boat by a foot
and reduced the beam by a couple of inches. I was after a bit
more speed, and I am willing to sacrifice a bit of stability
to get it.
Also, I wanted to get the weight
down, so I made the bulkheads from 1/4" ply and the stringers
from some Western Red Cedar I was lucky enough to find at a
local lumber yard.
Sandra's boat was stuck together
with SS screws through the stringers into the bulkheads, but
since the 1/4" ply would not take screws, I opted for a
dab of 3M 5200 and a cable tie.
Also, I decided to make the whole
thing on a strongback (recycled from a lapstrake canoe) as I
didn't think the cable ties would hold the form steady. Now
that it is this far along, I think I will let the 5200 set up
then remove it from the strongback to do the top.
After that, I'll stretch the
canvas, paint it, and bingo - it's a boat.