Voyage to Accommodation
by Steve Bosquette
After the winter hibernation on her trailer outside
all covered up "Missy" was returned to the garage at
the end of February, 2004. It was still cold outside so I had
to cover the windows on the boat with carpenter's paper to keep
the hear from an electric space heater inside the boat while I
worked on the interior.
Since the inside was roughed in before the winter
set in, I decided to work on the "ceiling". This is
boat talk for the insides of the cabin. Notice that the paneling
is laid horizontal in the vee-berth area and vertical in the rest
of the cabin.
I decided to panel around the helm station as well
and along the sides of the cabin to make it consistent.
To offset the galley area and the cabinet forward
of the galley, I chose to paint. However, the area above the fold
down counter is fiberglass panels like you would use in a bathroom
I built in a pull-out bin for storage and a shelf
under the counter. The space to the right is the storage area
for the L.L.Bean 2 burner propane stove.
The best buy of the whole project was the 2 foot
square Bomar hatch I bought at the annual Hamilton Marine Factory
Overstock Sale. It is a $250 item I got for $**. It is large enough
for me to get out of the forward hatch and onto the deck.
I had intended to put down a traditional teak and
holly sole in the cabin, but I was not completely sure how flexible
the double bottom would be so I opted to put down a vinyl parquet
floor. It adds a nice finished appearance to the cabin. The wheel
was mounted as well as the morse motor controls. I put fiberglass
panels on the top of the helm station only smooth side up.
The interior was ready to prime and paint so I moved
to the exterior of the boat. I started with the cockpit by installing
the same fiberglass panels smooth side up on the floor and the
sides of the cockpit. I glued the panels down with 3M 5200 fast
cure adhesive. I swear by this product. I have used it on my past
3 boats with great success.
The cockpit hatches and windows were sealed, the
door was hung and the trim was complete, ready for primer and
I painted the back of the cabin and the rear seats
and transom gray to offset the white of the cockpit and to cause
less glare. Note the new 25 hp Yamaha 4 stroke on the transom.
The outside of the boat was primed and painted.
Notice the 3-tone paint job - done that way to lower the impression
of a tall cabin. I used blue racing strip tape on the topsides
for the same reason.
Her Coming Out and Launch
I rolled her out of the garage for the last time
and put her on her trailer for the long awaited launch day.
My lovely wife Sally does the christening honors.
"I christen thee: 'Missy'"
My daughter Sue tends the lines as I back her into the water
for the first time.
Missy is under her own power for the first time. Quite a thrill!
My friend Dale Darling and I take her for a short shakedown cruise.
We needed to adjust the setting on the motor tilt in order to
get her to plane quickly and produce the maximum speed. We measured
16.5 knots per my GPS.
It has been a very satisfying experience building and now using
"Missy". She has exceeded all my expectations. Her designer,
needs to be commended for a great design.
Remember: You too
can build a boat, sure you can!!